Recent Updates.. [.....More]

Thursday

Lamb Curry with Sour Greens/ Gongura Mutton

Gongura/Sour Greens/Roselle is a kind of leafy vegetable, thats famous for its delicious sour taste in the southern part of India. After much waiting, my very own gongura plants in my backyard veggie garden have started to yield enough leaves to use them in a curry.

So, I made this over a weekend when we had a few of my husband's friends from college visiting us with their families after a long long time .. The best compliment from one of them was - "reminds.. me of India.. very much.. can I have more please?!".. Everyone liked it so much, I had to make it again the next day too ..

Ingredients:
------------
3 lbs - Mutton (Goat/Lamb)
2 cups of Fresh Gongura Leaves (I got mine from my little backyard veggie garden - check out the pics in the side frame)
Onions (finely chopped)
3 cloves

For marinade:
-------------
Ginger garlic paste
Chilli powder
Turmeric
Lime juice

Process:
----------
Marinate the mutton in all of the ingredients (mentioned above for marination). Let it marinade for a couple of hours.

In the pressure cooker,add some oil, add the cloves, onions and saute until the onions are golden brown. Add the mutton, and cover with lid and let it cook until it sounds 5 whistles. In a separate pan, add a tsp of oil and saute the gongura leaves until they become like a mushy paste. After the mutton is done, add salt and the gongura paste and mix well. Add salt, adjust chilli powder and add garam masala powder.

Serve hot with Rice, Chapathi. Enjoy..


This recipe has been submitted to the Grow You Own 2008 Event hosted by Jugalbandi. This event was originally started by Andrea @ Andreas Recipes.
Also submitted it to the Curry Mela Event being hosted by Srivalli @ Cooking For All Seasons.
This recipe goes to the SWC - AndhraPradesh Event hosted by Hari Priya Reddy@Indian Hut.
Please follow the links for more info.

16 comments:

Medhaa said...

never used gongura leaves before. How did you get such a lovely color without using tomatoes.

Pallavi said...

Hi Medhaa - Gongura is one of my favorite leafy veggies..bcoz of the little bit of sourness it has. Try it.. ! You can use it in Dal or in many other things.. The color is due to the turmeric and the red chilli powder I use. Thanks for coming again !

Unknown said...

Wow.. i am not able to resist myself... I just love this dish.. and i am drooling over the pic....

Anonymous said...

Hello Pallavi, Never tried growing Gongura, in Urdu we call it Ambada, can you give me some helpful tips on that? I plan to get some seeds and sow them in container. Ambada is my favorite! I miss it too much, used to have it a lot back in India. The curry looks absolutely delicious!

www.zaiqa.net

bee said...

thanks for your entry, dear pallavi.

Pallavi said...

Cinnamon... thanks for the comments.. do try it and let me know how u like it.

Mona : Oh.. I dint know that.One more term into my urdu vocab. Thanks. Its very easy to grow it.. pretty much no maintenance. I planted it in the backyard. But I gave some seeds to one of my friends to try in a pot and there are doing pretty well. The seeds take only about 5-7 days to germinate. You water regularly, have good sunlight. Initially you may have to wait a little while before you can pluck the leaves probably 3-4 weeks and the plant grow a bit. After that pluck whenver there are more leaves. The more you pluck the more it will make.. Good luck :)And have fun.. !

Cham said...

My Andra friend makes it, love the gongura with mutton. Delicious curry

Anonymous said...

Wow....this looks yummy! How did you grow a gonghura tree. We get the gonghura pickle by Priya. The colour of the curry is beautiful!

Sujatha said...

This looks delicious! First time to your site.. and I love all your dishes..

Dori said...

Wow, I wish I could taste this, looks so good!

Unknown said...

Hi Pallavi... I have something for you in my blog.. do check out!!

zlamushka said...

PPallavi,
This is the second time I read about Gondura leaves today. I wish I had a chance to try... It is great yu have them fresh and available. Home-grown thingies ROCK!
I am happy to discover your blog. I came here through Jugalbandi, as I am featuring their blog in this month´s Tried And Tasted, I hope you are participating.

Andrea Meyers (Grow Your Own) said...

I've never used gongura leaves before, though I've tried to find them at the local international markets. Your curry looks so warm and comforting. Thanks for sharing with Grow Your Own!

Pallavi said...

zlamushka : Thanks for visiting, hope you will come by more often. Thanks for telling me about the event. I'll check it out

Andrea: Thanks so much. This is such a fun event. Thanks for starting it. I wish I could send in more entries. I had to pick one out of all my veggies :) I am growing Okra, Eggplant, Green Peppers, Ridged Gourd, Bottle Gourd, Bitter Gourd, Gongura, Tomatoes ..and it was hard to settle with one. If you are interested, you can buy the seeds from here. They seem to be sold out for this season.. but you can try next year probably :)
http://www.seedsofindia.com/shop/index_auto.php?shop=1&itemid=72

Srivalli said...

Thanks for the lovely entry!

Bhãskar Rãmarãju said...

I dont know whether you can read telugu or not, but, I wrote Gongura Dal here, please pay a visit
http://nalabhima.blogspot.com/2008/10/blog-post_29.html

Related Titles

You can get this widget from here